Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rock Climbing

Rock climbing is one of the extreme sports ever.For beginners , it will push your stamina and strength to its limit (some sort).It is a good sport to practice for those who wants to be strong , though , handsome(no relation LoL).

To make it short , I started this Rock Climbing sport since last year(2008) when I was a first year student in Singapore Polytechnic. Why? Because I was looking for a challenging extreme sport. Actually , I don't know which CCA club to choose at the beginning . Suddenly I came across SPRC club . Then , one of SPRC member talked to me . He asked me whether I would like to write my name on their list so that I can see2 first then decide whether to really2 join them or not. So I said (more or less) "Why not?Bring it on!" .

The orientation for new SPRC members started a few days after that if I'm not mistaken. I was required to pay $10 for membership fee and $12 for 3 days orientation fee . Overall is $22 . That's a big sum of money to me . We were divided into several groups and assigned 1 senior to train us the most basic techniques and knowledges we should know as a climber.

So , we were trained these few days and I bet all newbie must be exhausted starting from the first day. Why? Because we still not familiar with the techniques . Hence , we used 75% of our arm strength and 25% of our leg strength . Whereby if you use the correct techniques , you should consume about 25% of your arm strength and 75% of your leg strength . Therefore , you'll be able to last a longer period.

At the end of orientation , our SPRC seniors organize a small competition using > 5 m wall I guess. We were required to finish up 2 sections at the wall . I mean , we should reach the top of the wall in this 2 sections. Well most of us managed to complete the 2nd section while the first section , we managed to complete 90% of it . Anyway , it gave us a little exposure .

After the 3 days orientation , Our official training started . We were again divided into several groups with a senior as our leader . He is responsible to train us all the techniques we need to know , track our development , motivate us and help us get along with other members I guess.
So, the official training was about 2 months . After that period of time , we are allowed to train on our own any time we want . Cool huh?

However , only about 10%-20% of these new members are committed to do their own self training. Well , I was quite a good novice climber at the beginning haha. Then , when the sem1 break came , I was very lazy to come to rock gym for self training. I skipped the training for 2 months since Sem1 holiday if I'm not mistaken . As a result , I lost all my cool moves and talents that I have built .

After 2 months I skipped the training , suddenly I feel like I want to climb again. So , I came to rock gym one day and I climbed . I was very2 embressed as I noticed that I climbed like a total noob . I was envious of those who are far better than me . I know that my envious and jealousy does not change anything.The only thing that can make it change is exrteme training .

I started to schedule my time-table . I climbed 3 times a week . There was certain time I climbed almost everyday after I finished my homeworks. Now , eventhough I am having 1 month holiday , I still come to climb with my buddy , Hanafi . I don't want history to repeat 2 times . I admit that I'm not a very good climber since I lost in an inter-competition event . However , I realized my intention . All I want to do is having some fun while climbing . Eventually , my skills will improve drastically as I enjoyed the sport . Now , I can see the improvement and I'm happy for it eventhough it is not a big achievement .

No comments:

Post a Comment