Friday, August 9, 2013

A Journey to be The Ultimate Programmer - Part 2

Before I start, in case you are wondering where on earth is part 1, its here.

As you can see, it was written in 2009. At that point of time, I was just writing it for the sake of writing. Well, perhaps I had "some" interests in programming. But not that much. Just looking at part 1, made me realize how pathetic I am. To date, I have not even touched Perl nor Ruby.

It was just recently that I decided to become a programmer when I applied for job in early 2013. At that point of time, I was still serving NS, and was preparing for my CCNA. Or to be exact, I had finished studying CCNA. I was about to take the exam. But then, if you know me in real life, you should know that  I am not the type who makes decision without thinking twice, thrice, and maybe more?

I was in dilemma. There were too many things in my mind, and so many things that I could not decide. One of them is to decide whether to take CCNA, or be a programmer. Well, if you ask me why, its because I don't really have interest in networking areas, neither do I have interests in programming. But I know I can perform if and only if I want to. Its just a matter of interest, and interest is something that you can develop over time with an open mind and an open heart.

After thinking for days, weeks, I decided not to take my CCNA exam. Instead I submitted online job applications first. I told myself that I will only specialize and move accordingly depending on the job that I am getting. I started applying for jobs in late December. It was 6 months before ORD.

As you guess, no one contacted me as I still have 6 more months. It was 3 months before I ORD that I managed to lend an interview with a start up company. During the interview I honestly told them that I have forgotten everything. To may surprise, they do not mind that as they understands it completely. A week later, I was offered a position with them, and I accepted the offer straight away. I signed my contract in early April. Oh and before I forget, I was their first employee. But not the first who started working.

July 1st - I walked into the office. I was totally clueless and helpless as I could not recall whatever things that I have learnt in SP. Prior to that, I only managed to learn some basic Javascript, HTML, and CSS on my own. Its just basics, really.

The next 2 days, we went out for some PlayStation seminar. It was quite a honeymoon for me I guess? Nevertheless, during lunch time, I indirectly told my boss that I wanted to be a good programmer like him, or maybe better, and I even expressed my interest to be posted overseas if there are some vacations. Laugh! I can't believe how bold I am sometimes!

On my first week, I somehow managed to recall back most of LINUX basic commands. It was quite an accomplishment to me as I think it was quite fast. On the second and third week, it was a little too fast. I was like forcing myself to learn and practice PHP & MySQL as much I can, even though it does not make some sense in the beginning. It was in the 4th week that I started to feel comfortable with PHP & MySQL, and I started to be able to understand other people scripts. Oh just to remind myself, I had no background in PHP at all previously. As for SQL, I only knew the basic SELECT all command. That's all.

Ok back to the story. As I was getting comfortable more and more with both PHP & MySQL, here come the shift. My colleague and I were asked to specialize. Both of us were like undecided as we wanted to try out everything as much as we could. To cut the story short, I was asked to start programming in using Objective-C, and that is when the nightmare started.

I looked at Objective-C, Objective-C looked at me. It was horrible. I felt like as if a mountain fell on me. The first 2 days looking and reading about Objective-C, I felt so helpless and useless. I could not understand a single explanation presented. It was like a totally different languages. At that point of time, I felt that I am so stupid. A mere 3.75 CGPA does not mean a thing any more. Now, its just between life and death.

Objective-C to me, is nothing like C/C++, JAVA, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, etc. The learning curve was so steep! I cannot even tell what simple example is doing initially. But then of course, I can't just give up. Running away does not solve a thing either. So, I was like really forcing myself to make some sense. I am glad I did.

Its been 3 weeks now, I guess I am slowly getting used to Objective-C, though there are still many things I still need to learn. Now now now now now, reading at the title, I do not know whether will I ever be an ultimate programmer? I don't know. But maybe, just maybe, I would be able to be a good programmer someday.

Doing Objective-C makes me appreciates the simplicity of C, PHP, etc. Thinking about it, make me laugh at myself back then. I don't understand why was I so afraid of C during my poly days. Its much simpler than Objective-C. I do not know, but I feel that once I master or maybe be good in Objective-C, I could do anything! Just maybe.

Well, that's about it for now. Till we meet again, dear bloggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment